Monday, December 20, 2010

A CRAB ON THE LOOSE

Jeff has wanted to get an aquarium for quite some time now so when the goldfish bowl cracked (for the second time) he decided to upgrade.

We went from this on our kitchen counter with 2 goldfish and a fake plant.....

to this -- with almost 20 different fish, 2 crabs, various rocks & statues and many live plants.....

Everyone was a little hesitant about getting a crab when Jeff first mentioned it. The kids were sure that this crab would eat the other fish and I just thought it was kinda creepy looking (like a spider), but Jeff eventually got one and we all thought it was pretty cool. Cool until the day came that we couldn't find him! Jeff was out-of-town and I was in-charge of the tank (big responsibility). Before I went to bed one night I checked on the fish and couldn't find the crab anywhere. I figured he was hiding behind a rock or something, but then morning came and still I couldn't find him. When the kids got home from school that afternoon Rena had 2 friends with her. So, I sent them on a crab hunt. I told them to search everywhere and if they found the crab they would all earn a piece of candy. Of course that got them moving! It wasn't very long before I heard the 4 girls screaming that they had found him. Sure enough.....there he was.....all the way down the hall and around the corner. I plopped him back into the tank and he is still alive and well. He likes to climb up the plants and the air tubes and sit half out of the water, but he hasn't escaped all the way again.....yet......

Here's the hunting crew -- Maleah, Olivia, Rena and Myah -- and there is the little crab on that plastic thing in front of the girls.....

I have to admit -- I didn't see the appeal or the need to upgrade from a $12 fish bowl to a full size aquarium, but now that we have it I do like it. It's right in the hallway that you have to walk through to get to the kitchen and it's really fun to stop and look......and make sure the crabs are still in there. And, of course, the kids (and Jeff) LOVE it! BUT if I find that crab loose again.....it might not make it back into the tank, but might find itself living in the ocean!

1 comment:

Connie and Vern VH said...

That is hilarious. It reminds me of the time we had hermit crabs in the acquarium at preschool. They were supposed to be removed every so often and placed in a pan to crawl around in water. Well, one day at school I did this and went to work setting up activies while the crabs were in the pan. As the kids arrived, I realized a crab was missing. The preschool kids were going all over the room looking behind everything and calling the crab like it was a dog. "Here crabby, crabby" Anyway, an afternoon preschool child found the crab back by the door that goes to the playground. That crab crawled all the way across the carpet. Good luck. They do escape.

Love the Christmas Card!! Thank you.