Saturday, October 31, 2009

RED DAY & CRAZY HAIR DAY

Friday was "red day" and "crazy hair day" for the kids.

The elementary school had red ribbon week last week - which is "anti-drug week" - they got a red ribbon on Monday that they wore all week that said "If you're not drug free - You can't hang with me". On Wednesday they were suppose to wear their shirts inside out because "drugs turn you inside out". And on Friday they were suppose to wear all red. Since red is Cameron's favorite color he had a lot in his closet to chose from.....

Rena didn't have quite as much red to chose from and she also wanted to wear something Halloween for her Halloween party so she went with red tights, red hair and a Halloween shirt! Maleah's school didn't have red day, but had crazy hair day. She went with lots of pony tails and lots of colored hairspray......

In case anyone wants to know - a little history on red ribbon week:
Twenty years ago, in 1985, the National Federation of Parents for Drug Free Youth joined with the DEA and implemented a Red Ribbon campaign that spread to places as far away as Europe. The National Red Ribbon Week is celebrated every year October 22-28, and is dedicated to Kiki Camarena and all of the people who have been wrongly killed due to the violence of drugs. Since then, millions of Americans have gotten involved in, and been touched by the Red Ribbon Campaign efforts. No other single drug prevention movement has had such an impact on so many lives.

Enrique (Kiki) Camarena's story and the whole history of red ribbon week is at: http://www.prc3.org/redribbon.htm

Here's the "red ribbon pledge" that the kids had to learn and say everyday last week:
I pledge allegiance to myself, and who I want to be.
I can make my dreams come true if I believe in me!
I pledge to stay in school and learn the things I need to know,
To make the world a better place for kids like me to grow.
I promise to keep my dreams alive, and be all that I can be.
I know I can and that's because I pledge to stay,
Alcohol, tobacco and drug free!

2 comments:

jilldaisbrenne said...

I had read the post before this one and thought - wow, everyone is wearing red... going to have to comment on it. Now I know why. What a great statement for the school to make.

Stacy said...

I love the crazy hair. You must have found all the hair spray you were looking for. It turned out so nice and I like Rena's version of red. It is beautiful.